New Challenge - The #WashBucketChallenge

We as consumers identify a product or service through its commercial advertisements, don’t we? I love a lot of ads that our advertising industry comes up with every year. From the Airtel music to daag ache hain ads, to the crazy glue stick ads, to the emotional insurance ads – all brilliant creative and expressive ads. Wondering why I stated talking about ad when my post title says “Wash Bucket Challenge”? When we talk of ads, how many of us have seen ads with men doing household chores? The “Masala”(spices) ads? Or maybe the cooker and tawa (utensils) ads? Definitely the Cleaner and disinfectant ads? Still no? What about washing powder ads?
Some days back we celebrated International women’s day, and did you know the theme of women’s day this time was “Gender Equality”? Unfortunately, everything around us still tells us how far we are from equality. Take the very example of all the ads I was just talking about, all broadcast an orthodox view of household chores as a woman’s task that too on national and international networks.  But guess what a wave of change is coming! (Great Expectations!)


A couple of months back Ariel had revealed a fact that 77% of Indian men depend on women for doing their laundry  and had asked us bloggers #IsLaundryOnlyAWomansJob. But now they have come up with a campaign #ShareTheLoad #WashBucketChallenge that aims at changing the deep-seated fact for good. For the #WashBucketChallenge Ariel asked men all over India to do the laundry at least for a day and share the load of household chores and so I nominated my brother to take the #WashBucketChallenge.

My Younger Brother takes the #WashBucketChallenge
My brother occasionally does his laundry himself and so he was all game for the challenge. The day after his 12th Boards got over, I asked him to do the needful and guess what – He didn’t even complain but instead he posed for photos and did not only his but the entire houses laundry that day! Ok, I wasn’t some evil elder sister standing and watching a show but he did the majority to be frank. I kind of realized sharing household chores helps in bonding too! It gave us a bit more than an hour to tease each other like kids again, play with the froth, ask each other about paper and office and make an attempt to talk non-sense (yes it is fun) other than our limited daily chats courtesy our busy lives these days. Also the froth did no harm to my skin (else he would have had a crazy time *phew*) luckily Ariel is a very gentle and efficient cleaning agent. Ask our clothes and my dear skin, they will agree.
And yes for us it wasn’t just about this #WashBucketChallenge! He also helped me with ironing the clothes. I still iron my clothes myself and he opted to do the same from now on. Just hoping this attitude is extended to cleaning the room soon :P *No harm in dreaming right?* 
A couple of months back, there was a bucket challenge that had taken the whole world under a chill spell, remember? The #IceBucketChallenge. Hope the #WashBucketChallenge has the same effect, at least in India.

P.S. – I nominate all my readers to take this challenge! :D Guys trust me it is fun.

This post is a part of the #WashBucketChallenge activity at BlogAdda.com is association with Ariel India

Comments

Post a Comment